Volunteering at Cleland Wildlife Park
Our volunteers are invaluable. They help to conserve the park’s beautiful natural surrounds and to care for our animals. Volunteers are often the public face of Cleland – presenting South Australia’s native wildlife to local, interstate and international visitors.
Through volunteering at Cleland you can learn new skills, meet new friends and make a difference to the whole community.
Volunteers help park staff with all kinds of activities, including:
Working with park staff to care for our captive wildlife, including preparing food, cleaning, and general animal husbandry (please note there is no handling of animals in our volunteer program).
Maintaining our gardens and natural habitats, the Green Team keeps the park looking great.
Helping our education team to research and deliver education programs and care for our education animals. Also supporting the education team with programs outside the park.
Helping to run guided tours and teaching visitors all about Cleland Wildlife Park – its wildlife, activities and environment.
Making enrichment tools to stimulate and engage our wildlife population in a positive way. Examples of enrichment tools that are used worldwide include food frozen in ice blocks, or seed cones for birds.
Carrying out general office duties in the administration area, including data entry and filing.
Bagging up animal food to be sold to the public.
Participating in community volunteer days, run yearly. Families and other busy individuals can roll up their sleeves and get back to nature. Our next blitz event is scheduled for October 2020.
What you need to know
- There is no handling of animals in our volunteer program. You will, however, get to work closely with staff and develop new skills.
- Volunteers must be 18 years or over. The Cleland Blitz, our community volunteer day held twice a year, is a great opportunity for those under 18 to come along and contribute.
- Volunteers work on a roster system. You need to be able to commit to a set day on an ongoing basis, for a minimum of two days per month.
- Volunteers pay a $10.00 annual membership fee and a $40.00 refundable uniform deposit.
- You will receive any training you need to carry out your volunteering duties safely and competently.
To find out more, contact our Coordinator of Volunteers: