Volunteering at Cleland Wildlife Park
Our volunteers are invaluable. They help to conserve the park’s beautiful natural surrounds and to care for our animals. Volunteers are often the public face of Cleland – presenting South Australia’s native wildlife to local, interstate and international visitors.
Through volunteering at Cleland you can learn new skills, meet new friends and make a difference to the whole community.
Volunteers help park staff with all kinds of activities, including:
Working with park staff to care for our captive wildlife. Main duties include animal food preparation food, cleaning, and general animal husbandry (please note there is no handling of animals in our volunteer program).
Maintaining our gardens, enclosures and natural habitats, volunteers help to keep the park looking great!
Bagging up animal food (pellets) to be sold to the public.
Enhancing visitor experiences by providing information about Cleland Wildlife Park – its wildlife, activities and environment.
Taking care of the patch of remnant native vegetation that exists within Cleland Wildlife Park, mainly through strategic weed control.
Working with staff to help maintain our off site gum plantations, primarily used for koala browse. Main tasks include weed control, debris clearing and pruning.
Participating in community volunteer days, run yearly. Families and other busy individuals can roll up their sleeves and get back to nature.
What you need to know
- There is no handling of animals in our volunteer program. You will, however, get to work closely with staff and develop new skills.
- Volunteers must be 18 years or over. The Cleland Blitz, our community volunteer day held twice a year, is a great opportunity for those under 18 to come along and contribute.
- Volunteers work on a roster system. You need to be able to commit to a set day on an ongoing basis, for a minimum of two days per month.
- Volunteers pay a $10.00 annual membership fee and a $40.00 refundable uniform deposit.
- You will receive any training you need to carry out your volunteering duties safely and competently.
Phone: (+61 8) 8130 9008.