Pelican Feed and Wetland Walk
To ensure we are complying with current SA Health regulations please note that some of our experiences may have reduced numbers and you may be required to wear a mask to participate.
We thank you for your support and for complying with staff directions.
For further details please talk to our friendly staff.
This hands-on experience is a great way to interact and learn about a variety of our South Australian bird species, including the biology and natural history of some of the region’s most iconic birds, and the habitats that they live in. The Pelican Feed and Wetland Walk experience offers our guests the chance to spend time with the bird keeper, at the Main Lake and in the Swamp Aviary. Guests will learn why wetlands are important habitats, the issues with habitat loss, and the effect it has on the species that call them home.
- Spend time with our dedicated bird keeper, helping to feed our four resident pelicans part of their daily diet of fish. Learn about their feeding and breeding habits, the habitats they live in, and the adaptations they have made to become highly successful in their environment.
- Learn the importance of wetland habitats, and the amazing bird species that call them home.
- Get up close to the residents of our Swamp Aviary, feeding them part of their daily diet and learning about their feeding and breeding
- Learn the importance of swamps, how they help clean the waterways, and the endangered fauna and flora that thrive in them.
- Take the opportunity to ask any questions you may have about our birds, their daily routines, and caring for them in captivity.
- Take away a new appreciation for these wonderful habitats and their inhabitants, and the steps you can take to help conserve them for future
Availability: Every day, seven days a week
Age: Children under 16 years old must be accompanied by a paying adult. Children 1 year old and under are free, but must be held by an adult and do not count towards the group number. Children 7 years and under are not able to hand-feed the pelicans.
Duration: 30 minutes
- Bookings can be made on arrival, however we recommend booking online prior to your visit to avoid the disappointment of missing out.
- Bookings close at 11.00am on the day of the experience, or until sold out. Only paying participants may participate.
- Please allow enough time for you to arrive, enter through the ticket office and walk to spot “8” on the map (about a 10 minute walk). If you are late your tour will still commence and conclude at the designated time. No refunds will be given.
- All participants must adhere to current Government COVID requirements.
- Please note, we have a heat policy for the welfare of our animals. If the temperature is forecast to reach 36 degrees at Mt Barker, then it is too hot for this experience to go ahead. We will notify you of the cancellation and issue you a full refund. Animal management reserve the right in extreme weather conditions to cancel this experience. Tour is subject to availability.
- Cancellations made 5 days’ prior to booking will receive a full refund. Cancellations made by a customer require a minimum of 5 days’ notice. Cancellations shorter than this period will not be refunded. If a refund is authorised, it will be made within 28 days of booking date.
- Cancellations made by Cleland Wildlife Park may occur due to extreme weather or other conditions outside of the park’s control. You will be notified if this is to occur and will be issued a full refund. Management reserve the right to cancel tours for safety reasons, at any time.
- Please wear appropriate clothing and footwear for your experience. Closed footwear is recommended.
- Children under 16 years old must be accompanied by a paying adult. Children 1 year old and under are free, but must be held by an adult and do not count towards the group number. Children 7 years and under are not able to hand-feed the pelicans.
- Participants must follow all instructions given by keeper staff, for safety reasons.